The International Maritime Organisation (IMO) has amended the Safety of Life at Sea Convention (SOLAS) to require, as a condition for loading a packed container onto a ship for export, that the container has a verified weight. The Shipper is responsible for the verification of the packed container’s weight. This requirement will become legally effective on July 1, 2016. After that date, it would be a violation of SOLAS to load a packed container onto a vessel if the vessel operator and marine terminal operator do not have a verified container weight.
- • The Shipper (listed as shipper in the bill of lading or sea waybill) is responsible for providing the VGM to the carrier in reasonable time prior to vessel loading.
- • The VGM (Verified Gross Mass) consists of cargo weight including packaging and dunnage (securing) materials and tare weight of container.
- • The Carrier is responsible for relaying the VGM to its terminal.
- • Container means standard containers, tank containers, flat racks and bulk containers.
- • The NVOCC is the shipper vis-à-vis the carrier and, therefore, responsible for providing the VGM to the carrier.
- • The Data to be provided to the carrier consists of the VGM and the shipper’s (Individual’s) authorized signature (can be electronic). Local/national Laws/Rules might require additional data, processes or documents (e.g. weighing note).
- • The Scale used for weighing has to be calibrated/certified in accordance with local/national Rules.
- • There are two Methodologies for calculating the VGM:
- ○ Weigh the packed/laden container
- ○ Weigh all packages, packaging and dunnage material and add the tare weight of the container
- • Carriers WILL NOT LOAD containers without having VGM
For further information, please see the Maritime and Coastguard Agency website – https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/maritime-and-coastguard-agency
We will endeavour to keep you fully informed of any changes updates or relevant information regarding this amendment that may be useful on our website and via our mailing list – Sign up now!